Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Big Rolling Ball of Doom--and Fun!

While at home in Wisconsin I was turned on to Katamari Damacy, an crazy Japanese game for Playstation 2. Here I was, an innocent naive girl with minimum interest in video games. And then someone said, "Hey, wanna try some Katamari?" I thought, sure, what's the big deal? It can't hurt. Well, now I'm Katamari Krazy! There's an addicitve quality akin to Tetris; you just can't stop! You think to yourself, "I can quit anytime I want. But I bet I could get my Katamari ball just a little bit bigger."

What is Katamari? You are sent on a quest to return the stars to the sky by picking up stuff. You roll over it with your Katamari (a.k.a. sticky ball), and as you collect more stuff, your Katamari becomes bigger and you can collect more stuff and bigger stuff. Rolling over your first person is a heady experience. The screams of terror just thrill your soul.

Katamari: if you don't want a video game addiction, don't go near it!

Oh, on the work front (since this blog is supposed to be about my work) I heard many disturbing stories at lunch about the horrible state of the Boston Housing Authority: the inept bureaucracy, losing hundreds of files a month (meaning hundreds of people needing homes are lost), apartments sitting vacant because there's no staff to go clean them for the next tenant. It's horrible. Meanwhile homeless elders trek to our Oureach office every day trying to find a place to live.

Katamari Damacy helps me forget about all of it... for a little while, anyway.

No comments: