Sunday, April 19, 2009

What's for Dinner? Ask Google

The dreaded question: "What should we have for dinner?"

I thought about what I had in the house. Off the top of my head:
  • a bag of frozen okra (I try to always have one in the freezer)
  • a bag of frozen corn (needed corn in the stuffed mushrooms I made last week)
  • a container of grape tomatoes (soon to go bad)
  • a scraggly basil plant that needed to be put out of its misery
I thought that could make a meal, along with some whole wheat rotini (we were out of rice and couscous) and a spicy black bean veggie burger (yum!).

I googled okra, corn, and tomatoes, and wouldn't you know, it's a very popular combination? If I had spent longer in the south, I guess I would have learned that. I tried to make it healthy by not adding bacon and multiple tablespoons of oil, and I think I succeeded.

It was almost ruined when the bottom fell out of the salt shaker. Luckily most of the salt landed next to the pan (whew!). Here's what ended up in my okra, corn, and tomato dish:

1 bag of okra
2 cups of frozen corn
3 cloves garlic
1 medium onion
2 tsp olive oil
1 pint grape tomatoes
2 cans of diced tomatoes
springs of basil
sprinkle of red pepper flakes
fresh ground pepper
salt
dash of chili powder

It turned out so well! And leftovers for days of lunches! To quote this week's guest on Wait Wait ... Don't Tell Me, Paula Dean (I never heard of her before either):
"It is fabulous. It'll knock your socks clean off and into the washer!"

1 comment:

Kelly said...

What? You've never heard of Paula Deen? She's the southern food butter queen. And very sassy and funny, which you obviously figured out listening to her on Wait Wait this week. Anyway, I love okra in all forms, so I may have to try this dish when I finally allow myself to eat tomatoes again. Though I may throw in some bacon for good measure :)