Thursday, May 07, 2009

A Letter to Weather.Com

I'd like to preface this open letter with this comment: It's a sad day for the media/news when you need to take basic advice from an ignoramus like me.

Dear Weather.com,

I use your website frequently to check on local weather forecasts. It's a great resource and I trust its accuracy. I generally ignore all other content on your website, however I couldn't help but notice the video box underneath the current weather conditions.

You label your list of video clips "Video Highlights." The first two videos listed underneath that heading as of 11:34 am EST:

"Tornado rips through homes"
"Multi-million dollar homes in flames"

Given what follows, calling the section "Video Highlights" rather crass. And while the 24-hour news culture has given rise to the trend of news-as-entertainment, and we, as a nation, have generally surrendered to (and, admittedly, fostered) that notion, identifying videos documenting the destruction of people's lives as "highlights" borders on heartless, though perhaps brutally honest.

I suggest "Top Videos" or "Recent Videos" or "Current News," and at least cloak your shamelessness in a thin veil of compassion.

Thank you.

No comments: