Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Haute Couture, Pas de Tout

I'm wet. All very much wet. It's raining.

It wasn't raining at six am when I went for my jog/walk, but I could tell it had rained earlier. Then, when I left for work--with green umbrella in hand--it was a sprinkle. A mere drizzle. A rain you could see but not feel.

That quickly changed. I could feel it, all right. All over. I'm not sure why I was holding up an umbrella. It wasn't keeping me dry. Even the dogs who were out being walked weren't enjoying themselves. In fact it was so miserably wet, and I was so miserably soaked, that by the time I reached the T, I decided that, for once, I would take the bus from Mass Ave to Washington St.

It didn't help. I reached work completely dripping wet, as though I had dressed in a hurry with clothes accidentally grabbed out of the washing machine instead of the dryer. I made a detour to Walgreens where I managed to find a red t-shirt ("5 for $10"), navy blue running pants, and some socks. I also bought a can of tuna for o go with my lunch. And it all cost only $12.98. I love Walgreens.

Then I sloshed down to Flour Bakery because I was dying for hot coffee and a scone. "Closed for renovation" read the sign on the door. Why God? Why me? So I sloshed over to Mike's Diner, wondering along the way why everyone else wasn't drenched to the bone like I was. In the diner I received many looks. I didn't care. I settled for not-so-good coffee and a not-so-good bagel. I'm going to eat it with my too-ripe banana. Hooray for breakfast.

Now I'm sitting in my dimly lit office, hair dripping wet (Walgreens didn't have any towels), but warm and reasonably dry in my new Walgreens ensemble.

Haute Couture it is not.

But it is dry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely story. In other news, London was bombed bigtime today.