Friday, July 08, 2005

Oh it's nice to wake up in the morning...

Sometimes but not always. Like yesterday. Groggily I was trying to reach consciousness when NPR/BBC did it better than I ever could have with the mention of bombs in the Underground and an exploding bus.

For some reason, the solemnness of the events struck me more immediately than waking up on September 11th. Maybe it was because it was all sound and no visual images. (There was something so surreal about seeing airplanes flying into the World Trade Center. It was like a movie instead of real life.) The BBC news casters have a way of making events sink in. I think maybe it seemed even worse after the jubilation in London over winning the 1012 Olympic bid.

On the T on my way to the airport* in the morning I immediately noticed heightened security. Overly-conscientious MBTA workers making repetitive announcements about keeping an eye out for any suspicious people, baggage, or activities. There were also a lot more uniformed police around--as if they could really stop anything from happening. Those security measures are all just for dumb show; it's all so pointless, really. Either we're bombed or we're not, and extra police officers in the T stations aren't going to do a damned thing.

*I flew to Wisconsin yesterday--no time to get to a computer until this morning

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did I not hear about this?

Actually, that very day I got off an international flight and at the train station I proceded to say 'f*ck' to a cop and then bitch at the station agent in front of the cop because my 30-day pass wasn't working.

Smooth...

Anonymous said...

Well...I don't know how it happened, but somehow your page loaded to July 8th. Sorry, for the confusion...